Sunday, February 13, 2011

Unintentionally Productive Day

Today was one of those unscheduled, rainy days that make it so easy to sit around and do nothing but read, drink coffee or play board games with the kids. Unfortunately for me (or maybe fortunately?) Sundays are also the days I do my grocery shopping.  So, rain or shine, every Sunday I trek out to the store for another shopping adventure.  Today I was able to escape the house on my own (since Little-Bug is on house rest following his outpatient surgery) so you would imagine I was able to zip in and out of the store in record time, right? Not a chance.  The trip got off to a rocky start when I started up Hubby's car and saw the gas light flashing at me.  After a detour for gas, I made it to the store and started my routine shop.  Since I make the same seven dinners each week, my grocery list is almost always the same.  Obviously there are random additions here and there when I run out of pantry staples, or if I am making a dish to take to an event of some sort. You would imagine a person with a 7 day dinner rotation and a shopping list in hand should have a fairly easy time navigating the grocery store they shop at every single week, but that was not the case this afternoon. It has been a long time since I have felt so scatter-brained, but I couldn't get organized in the store today for the life of me!  At one point I looked at my list and realized I had overlooked five (yes five) items that were all in opposite corners of the store *sigh*  I finally managed to finish shopping, loaded up the car and was halfway home when I realized I forgot to buy bananas (which were on the list!) So I had to make a second stop for groceries at the more expensive grocery store near the house before I could head back home.

The grocery trip inspired me to clean out my fridge when I came home, which inspired Hubby to wash the dishes - he just wanted to be closer to me ;-)  While he was doing the dishes, Hubby decided it was high time we cleaned out our Brita pitcher and put it back to work.  We had been all about the Brita in the rental house, but when we moved it was packed up with a little moisture left in the pitcher.  We didn't unpack the box with the Brita inside for a couple of months, so it had grown a little mildew in the process. I really wanted to make sure it got a good, intense cleaning before we put it back in the it has sat in a cupboard, unused for the past 18 months.  Thanks to Hubby's scrubbin' we now have a sparkling clean pitcher of ice-cold, filtered water in the fridge.  Yum!

Later in the day, my sister called and I stepped outside to chat so I wouldn't wake Little-Bug and Middle-Bug, who were taking naps while Hubby and Big-Bug played chess together.  While I was outside I figured I might as well get something done, so I started to prune the shrubs that had been nagging away at me lately. It took me an hour and a half of chatting and clipping, but I was finally able to shape up the junipers and the rhododendrons!  I discovered it is quite challenging to operate loppers while holding a phone to your ear with your shoulder :)

1 comment:

BonnieRose said...

Yay for productive days! Love you and all your bugs!

Post a Comment