Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day!



I hope everyone had a good valentine's day today, I know I did!  For me, every holiday (no matter how small) is a fantastic excuse to cook up something new :)  Today started with heart-shaped french toast with sliced strawberries, then I enlisted Big-Bug and Middle-Bug to help me decorate some valentine's day cupcakes (naturally they needed to sample one as well when they were finished.)  These cupcakes were a huge triumph for me. I have been trying to replicate my favorite cupcake frosting for YEARS now, and today I am pretty sure I finally got it right!  Unfortunately, I didn't write my proportions down....so here's hoping I can do it again next time :)



This afternoon, Hubby set up a wood working project in the garage and Big-Bug and Middle-Bug got to build a wooden ship with their Daddy while Little-Bug napped and I ran out to take care of a few errands.  While I was out I picked up the mail and found a hilarious envelope from my in-laws.  Of course, there was also a nice card inside, but this envelope is the best!



For dinner tonight the boys got to top their own heart-shaped mini pizza and they really enjoyed themselves.  Surprisingly though, they weren't too interested in actually eating them...possibly because they were saving room in their tummies for a second cupcake ;-)



Hubby and I tucked the boys into bed early tonight and had our own valentine's dinner just the two of us.  I made Hubby's favorite, spaghetti bolognese, and I spiced it up a little with a pear and prosciutto salad.  We shared a nice bottle of lemon Perrier, since we aren't big wine drinkers, and finished with a strawberry mascarpone tart.  It was delicious!!


This was my first experience with prosciutto and I was impressed.  Super tender and more mild than I had expected.


Mascarpone and strawberries is maybe the best food combo in the history of food.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Your amazing...it all looks so good...

BonnieRose said...

Yummy! I love Mascarpone too! Isn't prosciutto amazing? Our friend made one himself once! He started with a pig leg, special ordered from the butcher and salted it and cured it and then hung it in the garage for 18 months... There was a lot of mold when he was done. Then he pulled all of that off and the inside was AMAZING GOODNESS!!!

molly said...

Gorgeous cooking Greta!! Love the heart shaped french toast!

Post a Comment