Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Peanut butter "sushi"

I will admit it, I am in love with my bread machine.  We lovingly call him "machinie" and he has made my life a wonderful thing.  Who would have guessed a small kitchen appliance could make such a big difference!  Our little bread-making robot (as the kids think of him) has been making us fresh, homemade, preservative and additive free bread every day since he entered our family.  We have even used him to make an incredible (best EVER) pizza dough as well....yum!

I have been timing it just right so "Machinie" finishes our sandwich loaf in time for it to cool about an hour and be cut up for the day's lunch.  Today however, I was not on time getting the bread started!  As lunch time approached I could no longer deny the fact that our bread would NOT be making an appearance.  Ordinarily I would just push lunch back a bit, but today is one of Big-Bug's preschool days and I can't send him off on an empty stomach!

As I surveyed the contents of my kitchen for alternate lunch options, I noticed the left over flour tortillas in the fridge.  Suddenly...inspiration struck!  Drawing from the fabulous do-it-yourself sushi experience I had just last night, I was able to create a peanut butter "sushi" that the boys declared to be "DELICIOUS!!"

It was really the most simple of things.  I spread a wide band of peanut butter down the center of each tortilla, then spread strawberry jelly of the top of the peanut butter layer.  Next I split a banana into it's natural thirds (making long, skinny strips) and lay a banana strip on top of the peanut butter and jelly.  Then I rolled the tortilla up, used a little peanut butter to stick it closed and sliced each tortilla into rolls.  Presto!  Peanut butter "sushi"  :)  The kids couldn't get enough of it, and I have to say I enjoyed it as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment